Mum's warning over popular baby teething gel

CLIENT: DR ZAC
OUTLET: 9HONEY

A New Zealand mum has issued a warning to other parents after saying her baby almost died after she used too much of a popular baby teething gel on her.  Jessica Vermunt wrote a post on Facebook in which she says her daughter, aged seven months, was being treated in hospital after suffering a severe reaction to the product, saying the baby was "literally minutes from dying".   Dr. Zac Turner  says any medication always comes with risks.  "With any medication there's always a chance you can be plain allergic to it," he says, but added that this doesn't sound like the case for this particular family.  He blames this poor outcome on a condition known as Mehtonhima Golonuria, when red blood cells burst and a patient is left with too little to carry enough oxygen around the body.

A New Zealand mum has issued a warning to other parents after saying her baby almost died after she used too much of a popular baby teething gel on her.

Jessica Vermunt wrote a post on Facebook in which she says her daughter, aged seven months, was being treated in hospital after suffering a severe reaction to the product, saying the baby was "literally minutes from dying".

Dr. Zac Turner says any medication always comes with risks.

"With any medication there's always a chance you can be plain allergic to it," he says, but added that this doesn't sound like the case for this particular family.

He blames this poor outcome on a condition known as Mehtonhima Golonuria, when red blood cells burst and a patient is left with too little to carry enough oxygen around the body.